[Qgis-community-team] [Qgis-psc] Doc writing: simpler writing and styling

Richard Duivenvoorde richard at duif.net
Mon Dec 28 08:09:01 PST 2015

On 27-12-15 22:35, Tim Sutton wrote:

> Just bouncing the idea around: If we follow all this logic surely
> it is better to switch to Markdown which is a lot more mainstream
> and simple to pick up and use because of its cleaner syntax? I
> guess with Markdown we lose the advantage of RST that  we do have:
> richer syntax cross referencing, multi-chapter support, translation
> support etc. ? Which of these are we still planning to keep?

I'm not against using Markdown, but I'm not aware of any tooling
around Markdown, for building and/or i18n stuff.

So sphinx not only builds, but also helps us with:
- doing i18n
- templates for pages
- references and indexes
- pdf generatation

I think at least the first 3 are essential for our documentation
process, but others please let us know if we are wrong....
Happy to switch, because some constructs (mainly the inline images)
are just plain easier in Markdown, but after some googling, I think
markdown is just not good enough for our usecase (i18n and indexes-wise)

Some links:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2471804/using-sphinx-with-markdown-in
stead-of-rst

http://strapdownjs.com/