[Qgis-community-team] 2.18 LTR Documentation

DelazJ delazj at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 08:29:40 PDT 2017

Hi,

Le mardi 13 juin 2017, Yves Jacolin <yjacolin at free.fr> a écrit :
> Harrissou, Alexandre, and all :)
>
> This wish list is great and interesting but really challenging. I have
some
> idea about highest priority but we need to find a good way for discussion.

I've been asked by Paolo (the PSC?) to schedule a meeting to specifically
discuss documentation needs and projects. While I did nothing yet (sorry
Paolo for my silence - I am a bit busy these weeks), it sounds like a good
approach to have these issues discussed in an efficient way. Now,
questions: when? how? expected duration? Who is interested? Any suggestions
of platform (honestly, a chat room could be easier to reach for me than a
vocal call (not at work hours) because it has less constraints for me and
with my accent in English I can't guarantee you understand me and I'm
neither sure that my ears are enough used to English (accents) :( )?

> Here
> my though (draft for now):
>
> * [june] move all tickets on PyQGIS to 3.0 and close the ones that don't
make
> sense to keep (hard to know if we don't have knowledge on PyQGIS API)

I'd rather let them with their original milestone. I think we all agree
that Documentation of pyqgis won't/can't be fixed in 2.18 but is a
must-have in 3.x doc. I wonder if keeping initial milestone wouldn't help
the Cookbook writers quickly identify obsolete issue reports when time
comes (thing I am not able to do). I remember we had two interesting grant
proposals to fix Cookbook for QGIS3.

> * [july] finish the 2.18 documentation, we are almost done but we need
some
> time. I have, at least, 2-3 tickets to finalize or start for  the 2.18

And there are some pull requests that need review, particularly
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/pull/1938 which imho could help
fix many other issues.
Btw did we set a deadline for 2.18 release?

> * [june-august] create tickets (with special flags) for all you want to
see in
> QGIS 3.0, add it in QGIS3 milestone. We can probably use "project" [1]
feature
> on github and create  "new", "on discussion", "todo", "need review",
"done"
> steps.

Do we release a 3.0 doc?
Tickets are already targeted, including 3.0 (milestone) ones. I might
misunderstand how the project feature works but we do use a *blocker* label
to identify what needs to be filled before release. Do you think we need
another organization on this?

Anyway, please feel free to complete the wiki I began with your inputs so
that we have a single place for subjects to discuss...

Thanks,
Harrissou

> * [july-september] vote/discuss on each tickets
>
> We should improve planning (summer holidays will really slow down the
work)
> and define the process. Could you give your though (Alexandre)?
>
> Regards,
>
> Y.
> [1] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/projects
>
> On dimanche 4 juin 2017 20:36:14 CEST DelazJ wrote:
>>  Hi,
>>
>> A month later, could be nice to revive this thread and discuss ideas to
>> improve QGIS Docs...
>> Some of the top topics imho could be :
>> - release of 2.18 docs:  If I'm not wrong, the May release was supposed
>> be the new LTR then I guess, given issues that occurred, the LTR release
>> will be June's. Are we ready? Status of remaining issues/PR?
>> - QGIS3 and link to online documentation (aka the new help system): how
>> could we ensure the best experience to the users? Collaboration with dev
>> team?
>> - Strategy to have the documentation budget always used each year,
because
>> QGIS documentation has needs and projects (right?).
>>
>> I've listed some items that I have in mind and somehow appear to me like
>> issues or questions to answer. They are referenced in a wiki page of my
>> repository (https://github.com/DelazJ/QGIS-Documentation/wiki/On-the-ro
>> ad-to-QGIS3 - a kind of quick cheat sheet). If valuable, we can use it
as a
>> basis and improve/clean it and produce a more structured and shared doc,
>> maybe in the QGIS Doc wiki (I don't really know what is its current
status
>> - could we put things on it?).
>> The main idea would be to come up with plans, strategy or call it the way
>> you want we could submit to PSC and dev list (our priorities, what we do
>> need help for?...). Another option could be to discuss directly the
points
>> in (one of?) those lists but I'm afraid, we miss the prioritization step
:(

>> regards,
>> Harrissou

>> > It would be great if we have some help from a developer to tackle the
>> > PyQGIS Cookbook issues. I will probably take too much time to make user
>> > I'm
>> > documenting it correctly...
>> >
>> > I would leave big changes in documentation structure to 3.0 milestone.
It