[Qgis-community-team] Website and Docs, Sphinx building time down 30-40%

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Tue Sep 5 04:48:05 PDT 2017

Hi,

(for those building documentation and website using the Makefile or
Docker images....)

With our newer Docker image we moved to Python3 and Sphinx 1.5.6

This Sphinx has a -j option for paralellisation(?).

Website
real	0m20.322s
user	0m0.034s
sys	0m0.054s

with -j2
real	0m13.412s
user	0m0.034s
sys	0m0.041s

Documentation
real	6m37.143s
user	0m0.139s
sys	0m0.135s

with -j2
real	3m51.501s
user	0m0.106s
sys	0m0.068s

higher values of -j2

As you can see this works great!

I added a -j2 to the Makefile of the website build
Will do it for the Documentation too. Currently only the testing/3
branch works with this Docker image.

I will not use -j3 or higher to not stress our build server too much.
But feel free to try this on your own hardware :-)

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde