[Qgis-community-team] Is releasing QGIS Documentation still in the plan?

DelazJ delazj at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 05:23:09 PDT 2018

> Hi,
>
> > I think we need to put this conversation at least in the devs list, not
> > everybody is in this community list, so we probably end up talking to
> > ourselves (which may still happen, since Docs aren't sexy).
>
> +1 (even if we maybe will keep up the discussion by ourselves ;) )
>
> Sadly true!

> > I don't think we will be able to do the documentation only with
> volunteers.
> > We will need to professionalize it. We need to pay people to write
> > documentation, and even to review it.
> >
> > Unfortunately, even having money to spend, it seems difficult to get
> people
> > that are free to do it...

ditto ;(
Though review is often less time consuming than writing...

> > It's very frustrating to write lots of documentation, and then get stuck
> by
> > the lack of reviews. I know Harrissou is in that position. I would
> suggest
> > that, if after a period of time, the PR has no reviews at all, its owner
> is
> > free to merge it. I know it's not ideal but is better than having
> outdated
> > documentation while someones updates are in standby forever.
>
> I'm + 1 also on this. I think that the errors that a merged PR could
> introduce are still better to have a long cue of unmerged PR. Knowing
> that it is always better to have reviewed docs, but maybe (just maybe)
> errors are easier to find during the final reading of the docs..
>
> Thanks to those who reviewed some of the existing pull-requests.
My concern with "no review - just merge" rule is that issue in docs are
hard to find later. We have no tools to check for typos, for wrong
formulation (sorry but English is not the mother tongue of most of us),
wrong description of tool behavior (That's what personally worries me the
most, I often try tools before documenting but unfortunately things are not
always obvious and reviews help to reduce mistakes). And doing that alone
is just boring! Also, the consequences are 1/mislead users and 2/overload
translators work (a first time in translating the wrong text - in case it's
clear enough to try a translation - and a second time when the issue is
found and fixed in the English part).
Using that "no review - just merge" rule should be an exception and not a
rule by default.

That said, I finally merged a dozen of unreviewed/"not discussed" PRs that
had more than 2 weeks, as I feel they'd not get much attention, and closed
around 20 issue reports. The nice news was that we've dropped to less than
400 issues to document... until few hours ago.
A nice goal would be to keep that number as a maximum threshold for the
issue queue. There are already a lot of new (and shorter) PRs that would
help to reach that goal so please, continue to review.
Unless doc release is stopped (which does not seem to be the *expressed*
trend), I'll try to keep the goal achieved (and if possible, lower that
limit) until... 3.4 doc release.
After that, without new docs initiative/contributor, it could be a nice
opportunity to learn c++ ;)

There was that QGIS survey launched in 2015 [0] and if I'm not wrong, Anita
published later an analysis of the teachings. I can't find it. Can someone
point me to that results, please?
I'd be really interested in another round. While I'm more interested in how
the documentation perception may have (or not) changed these last years
(if/who/why  knows/uses/does not contribute/needs/misses?) and docs future,
it can also be the opportunity to take the community's pulse more formally
and see if the project has improved or not (regarding their remarks three
years ago).
Maybe, this can be done between 3.2 and 3.4 releases (3.x would not be that
new "brand" and no LTR yet)? We would then also have time to prepare and
translate such survey...

[0] http://blog.qgis.org/2015/10/15/take-the-qgis-user-survey/ (not
available but...)

Regards,