[Qgis-community-team] Move old core plugins documentation and port it to Processing

delazj at gmail.com delazj at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 18:56:01 PST 2018

Hi Matteo,

See https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/pull/1806, the eldest open pull request. I never merged it because i expected that there are some details a doc writer would like to reuse one day. The day has come?

> For gdal tools I'd say to let them where they are: even if this could
> seem a duplication of documents, actually they are available in 2
> different places.

Here, I disagree with you:
- duplicates should be avoided. When algs get updates, it just double the work if the committer does not forget one of the page (in which case you end up with two different descriptions -really bad). Better take advantage of cross link rather than duplicating contents.
- GdalTools (Raster menu) is not different from fTools (Vector menu), hence they should be handled the same way. While vector has been placed at the top of Processing chapter (http://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/user_manual/processing/index.html%E2%80%A6) I don't feel it makes sense there and had opened an issue report at https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/issues/2123. Inputs are welcome.

Regards,
Harrissou