[Qgis-community-team] Fwd: [SeasonOfDocs] Draft paper discussing QGIS docs

matteo matteo.ghetta at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 08:49:21 PDT 2019

cross posting my reply

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: [SeasonOfDocs] Draft paper discussing QGIS docs
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2019 15:15:44 +0200
From: matteo <matteo.ghetta at gmail.com>
To: seasonofdocs at lists.osgeo.org

Hi Cameron,

thanks for the doc that summarized the ideas we discussed last week.

The QGIS-Documentation repository if seen as a "standalone" projects is
a huge container to coordinate. Here are some of my thoughts, I'd love
to have feedback on this:

* we have a complex framework (we all know that!). But IMHO, this
complexity is fundamental for the project. Even if we are behind the
code, the quality of the documented features is awesome.
* this complex framework has a steep learning curve and I think we
cannot do anything here rather than explain the guidelines as we did
(maybe enhancing them with other example, but complex will stay)
* we cannot have "spot" contributors (e.g. who wants to add a small
chapter of specialized use) because of this (only exception is an
already skilled person)
* we have a growing issue cue (>500)
* even if many improvements have been done (automatic screenshots,
pyqgis tests), sometimes these tools make the whole framework more
complex (sigh!)

I totally agree with Andreas: there are plenty resources outside and
just a few of them are included in the core (not judging the choice just
seeing what is happening). Same for some new features documented in
personal company websites and not directly in core (with a badge like:
Feature developed by MyCompany).

Here some early proposals:

* having more of "us" core contributors dedicated to specific tasks
(guy1 -> mainly review, guy2 -> help desk, guy3 -> css and graphic, guy4
-> IT framework, guy5 -> issue chief..)
* giving some "awards" for people that wants to add a something in core
rather than on personal website ??
* having a specified workflow for PR: review 1, style and content ->
review 2, native English speaker -> merge

The challenge we should win is to attract more people that can
contribute continuously to the project

Hoping to start a nice discussion

Cheers

Matteo