[Qgis-community-team] Draft paper discussing QGIS docs

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 05:41:50 PDT 2019

Andreas, Matteo, Anita, Rosa, Régis,

Some great and tough questions and suggestions here.

I'm won't have the bandwidth this week to answer all questions to the
depth I'd like, but I'll touch on a few highlights.

I think we should start with clearly defining a vision for what we would
like QGIS docs to look like. Without that, it is hard to do a gap
analysis and quantify what is missing. If people can't easily see the
problem, they are less likely to volunteer to fix it.

This vision should cover the doc set we will create, the level of
quality we expect, the target audience who will be satisfied, and how
they will be satisfied, the maintenance and currency and probably a few
other things.

I think we should clearly and very publicly define what we consider to
be highly valuable contributions (like working on core docs) vs
disconnected docs which are only available for a select few. Maybe this
could be embedded into a "doc pledge" which we can invite organisations
to sign up to. This will help sponsors to recognise, prioritise and fund
high quality initiatives.

I think QGIS docs would benefit hugely from someone directly dedicated
to a "community builder" type role. You will typically see at least one
and sometimes a few of these people at the center of successful open
source projects. They typically go beyond the call of duty to help all
sorts of people work through all sorts of challenges. They do whatever
dirty work is required, such as triaging issues and building releases,
but also reach out to people, invite them to help out, follow up with
them later, simplify and fix processes and so on. Note, the primary
focus of this role is empowering others to be productive, and attracting
others and being nice, empathetic and encouraging. It is also about
saying "no, we don't have bandwidth to do that for you". I see elements
of this within the QGIS docs list, but I've the feeling that QGIS has
become too big for this to be sustained on volunteer labour alone. It
would be great if this could be funded as a full time role. I'd suggest
that a community builder's role be modeled on some great research into
attracting and sustaining volunteers, which I've summarised here:
http://cameronshorter.blogspot.com/2018/12/catching-elusive-episodic-volunteer.html

We keep seeing training courses created and not given back to the QGIS
core. For this I think we need to target the business case of people
putting on courses. Firstly, educate users about which courses the QGIS
community likes (namely ones which integrate and contribute to QGIS
docs). It is good business to go where students are being sent.  Then
lets help make it easy to bring material back into our core material. It
is expensive to integrate your personal course with external material.
This is something that a "community builder" could really help with and
spend time on, especially with the first couple of course(s) we bring
in. As above, define to Universities what we expect of them to be good
open source citizens. And help course writers to write a business case
to collaborate. (Info at:
http://cameronshorter.blogspot.com/2018/10/the-open-business-business-case.html
)

I really think that we can reduce the barrier to entry for QGIS docs
people. For OSGeoLive, we went from hardly attracting contributors to
attracting scores of volunteers by modularising and making it easy to
contribute, along with asking, and following up. QGIS will be harder to
move, but I'm convinced it is achievable following a similar formula. In
particular, we can help techies become good writers by having a senior
tech writer offer to review the docs written (in line with templates we
plan to build with TheGoodDocsProject. Initially this reviewer might be
the community builder, but it could become a separate role.
OSGeoLive story here:
http://cameronshorter.blogspot.com/2011/06/memoirs-of-cat-herder-coordinating.html

I'd have the "community builder" lead the breaking of tasks and docs
into sections, then reaching out to groups people and inspiring them to
take on a task or two.

I'd also suggest setting up periodic meetings, probably weekly. These
are really good for keeping the momentum going and inspiring each other.

Rosa, re videos: Yes, they are great for users. They are also very time
consuming to maintain and update with each release. Be careful to ensure
that you only create as much material as your team have the capacity to
sustainably maintain.

Re giving awards: I've been researching quite a bit into motivational
theory, which taps into gamification theory. It talks about intrinsic
motivation vs extrinsic motivation. Why Open Source volunteers so often
sustain valuable contributions for so long is they are intrinsically
motivated - for a greater purpose and higher goal. Acknowledging
someone's good work is worth doing, but handing out gold stars for
effort has the potential sometimes to cheapen the person's contribution
- as it can be tapping into extrinsic motivation, which is less sustained.

Cheers, Cameron

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier