[Qgis-community-team] Draft paper discussing QGIS docs

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 13:16:57 PDT 2019

Hi Regis, some good ideas in here, I'll comment inline

On 28/8/19 12:00 am, Régis Haubourg wrote:
> Hi Cameron,
>
> Le mar. 27 août 2019 à 14:42, Cameron Shorter
> <cameron.shorter at gmail.com <mailto:cameron.shorter at gmail.com>> a écrit :
>
>     Andreas, Matteo, Anita, Rosa, Régis,
>
>     Some great and tough questions and suggestions here.
>
>     I'm won't have the bandwidth this week to answer all questions to
>     the depth I'd like, but I'll touch on a few highlights.
>
>     I think we should start with clearly defining a vision for what we
>     would like QGIS docs to look like. Without that, it is hard to do
>     a gap analysis and quantify what is missing. If people can't
>     easily see the problem, they are less likely to volunteer to fix it.
>
> To me, the final and ideal goal would be :
> - each released version should be associated with an english version
> within 2 months after the release
> - Each LTR version should have fully translated version when it is
> tagged as LTR
> - New features should be easy to document and not be a technical debt
> from developpers to documentation team.
> - Training material should be updated for LTR, and tested, within 6
> months after the LTR release. I don't think being faster is any useful
> given the delay in actual migrations and large scale trainings
> - Fixing an error in doc or translation should be doable only with web
> interface and quickly, so that trainers can fix issues during their
> training sessions.
This is a good start on a vision.

>     This vision should cover the doc set we will create, the level of
>     quality we expect, the target audience who will be satisfied, and
>     how they will be satisfied, the maintenance and currency and
>     probably a few other things.
>
>     I think we should clearly and very publicly define what we
>     consider to be highly valuable contributions (like working on core
>     docs) vs disconnected docs which are only available for a select
>     few. Maybe this could be embedded into a "doc pledge" which we can
>     invite organisations to sign up to. This will help sponsors to
>     recognise, prioritise and fund high quality initiatives.
>
> I think this was one the goals of the certification program. Shortly
> said, you want to deliver certificates and be yourself a certifying
> organisation. You need to be a regular contributor, and thus a member
> of the community. There are many ways to contribute of course, not
> only documentation.
>
>     I think QGIS docs would benefit hugely from someone directly
>     dedicated to a "community builder" type role. You will typically
>     see at least one and sometimes a few of these people at the center
>     of successful open source projects. They typically go beyond the
>     call of duty to help all sorts of people work through all sorts of
>     challenges. They do whatever dirty work is required, such as
>     triaging issues and building releases, but also reach out to
>     people, invite them to help out, follow up with them later,
>     simplify and fix processes and so on. Note, the primary focus of
>     this role is empowering others to be productive, and attracting
>     others and being nice, empathetic and encouraging. It is also
>     about saying "no, we don't have bandwidth to do that for you". I
>     see elements of this within the QGIS docs list, but I've the
>     feeling that QGIS has become too big for this to be sustained on
>     volunteer labour alone. It would be great if this could be funded
>     as a full time role. I'd suggest that a community builder's role
>     be modeled on some great research into attracting and sustaining
>     volunteers, which I've summarised here:
>     http://cameronshorter.blogspot.com/2018/12/catching-elusive-episodic-volunteer.html
>

> Much agreed. This leads us to progressively secure those that
> contribute so much by paying them for this. The more ressources we
> have, the more we'll be able to fund those low level tasks (don't
> forget communication, code review, packaging etc.. in those critical
> functions. I think this was a second goal of the certification
> program. As it already raised 10 000 euros with only 500 certificates
> delivered, and given that very few of us started to sell them, this
> makes me optimistic about having enough ressources in a close future
> to secure such roles.

10 000 euros doesn't sound like much to me.

Think about how much each of you could earn if working as a contractor
today.

How much documentation work is required for each technical feature
coded? Maybe 30% of the coding effort to document the API. Maybe over
200% if you additionally consider updating videos, training courses, and
translations as well.

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier