[Qgis-community-team] using python virtualenv for installing depenncies of repository QGIS-Documentation

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Wed Feb 20 08:37:07 PST 2019

On 20/02/2019 17.13, DelazJ wrote:
>     cd /tmp (or whatever dir you are going to use)
>     git clone https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation.git
>     cd QGIS-Documentation
>     virtualenv -p python3 venv
>     source venv/bin/activate
>     pip install -r REQUIREMENTS.txt
>     make html
>
> Richard, is the -p python3 a requirement? In which case it could be nice
> to have the readme
> (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/#building-the-documentation-using-make)
> updated
> And I wonder if sphinx version should not be upgraded (readme shows
> sphinx==1.2 while requirements.txt is at 1.6.5)

Yes for QGIS-Website and QGIS-Documenation master/testing we use a newer
Docker image which uses Python3 and newer sphinx.

We needed/wanted a newer sphinx because it had some feature we needed
and was faster. The move to python3 was because of ... I do not know, I
think because I want to get rid of python 2 and I needed to create a new
Docker image anyway:

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Sysadmin/blob/master/docker/sphinx/Dockerfile-html

Note that the QGIS 2.18 was not updated, that one is still using the
older Docker (python2) image

Yes, the docs should be updated... I hope the next hackfest we will have
a lot of hands to do such things...

Regards,

Richard