[Qgis-community-team] Documentation writers meeting during HF

matteo matteo.ghetta at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 06:51:07 PST 2019

Hi Harrissou,

> Matteo, you were quicker than me. Since I won't be at the hackfest, i
> was preparing a kind of wishlist; They are not necessarily things to
> discuss (some of them have been long standing and sometimes longly
> debated) but I hope most of them get done. HF is unfortunately the
> single moment where many people will get involved in docs improvement so
> let's take that advantage to fix things that complicate doc writers life.
>
> #. Fix the help button in QGIS being broken each time the link in the
> doc has moved or changed a bit, with nobody noticing it: see [0] with
> all the links that mention it, as places it has been rediscussed
> #. Review the doc site look (template, css, ) - see from [1]
> #. Review the doc build instructions in the readme file of the
> repository and ensure they work for all platforms (I personally abandon
> doc building on Windows though it's my working env - I don't think that
> travis should be the place to check our changes)
> #. Fix script to clean the repo from obsolete/unused image files ( see
> [2] and some of the other backend tagged issue reports [3])
> #. Fix automatic screenshot generation [4]
> #. and, a bit aside though related to writing, Add translation
> guidelines for desktop translators and make them accessible to all as a
> welcome message on Transifex, or in the signature of the translation
> group. see [5] and a quick tip at [6]
> #. Close 2.16 and 2.18 milestones issues

good, added to the discussion list

> I'd also like to react on the stale bot activation. I really don't
> understand what it's needed for, if I understood the discussion that was
> held at the time:
> - if the PR is from a person with commit rights, if not reviewed and IF
> he reminds the others but failed to get their review (did we ever get to
> this?), he/she simply has to merge, no need for a bot
> - if the PR is from any other contributor, closing it because none of
> the reviewers has time will simply make people frustrated. What would
> have resolved the closure of the PR? What should it resolve actually?
> Most of the PR allow maintainers to push changes to them so if it's a
> good but abandoned PR, better keep it along and complete and merge it
> when a maintainer feels interested.
> For me, the problem of the queue in doc repo is not in the Pull request
> tab but in the Issues one.
> Of course I don't want to hijack this thread with that issue, simply
> wanted to express my opinion regarding this imho risky decision.

yep, I perfectly understand your point and I half agree. I'm +1 that the
"problem" lies more on issues than on PR, but having also somee
automatic process that speeds up the PR cue could let us to focus on
writing more than on reviewing... anyway, it will be an open discussion.
Would you be able to join us via voip?

BTW: I'm paying with tranisfex and github integration and it really
seems promising. Sparing a lot of work for us and let automatic stuff
working ;)

Cheers and thanks

Matteo