[Qgis-community-team] Documentation meeting report during HF

matteo matteo.ghetta at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 03:10:55 PST 2019

Dear all,

yesterday we had the chance to discuss many thing for the Documentation.
Here a summary:

* branch 3.4 and release ASAP (during this hackfest): pending PR should
be backported anyways. We know this can lead to some additional effort,
but we realized that it is very important for users see and have an
official LTR manual

* change the current "Docs in progress" banner to something more
friendly: "This is an user driven documentation, if you want to
contribute see the guidelines []) or something similar

* promote "fix me" button (moving it to another position where people
can see it immediately)

* given that we really really need some other people to help us we
decided that PR should have some mandatory step (not breaking the code,
not wrong documentation) and some optional step (images, icons, syntax,
..). This could be added as a checklist in the PR text and, if the
mandatory steps are respected, than we can merge the PR and fix the
optional step in a second moment.

* core committers can merge PR after 15 days if no review is there.

* get rid of user manual pdf and replacing it by html zip file. Several
reasons for this:

  * pdf are difficult to maintain, several latex packages have to be used
  * pdf is a static document, while with html an user can jump around
pages from the Help button within QGIS

* we will have a look into vanilla theme

* we are also thinking to have separated repositories for each source
(user manual, training manual, etc)

That's a brief summary, hoping people are happy with this

Cheers

Matteo