[Qgis-community-team] Tasks for writing Documentation

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 21:33:43 PDT 2019

I'm also interested in the answer for this question. I've been looking
around at the QGIS docs and on first pass they look pretty good.

I'm particularly interested in putting together a proposal for an OSGeo
Foundation bid to get a Google Season of Docs tech writer. For this
first pilot, there are only ~ 50 slots, spread across the entire Open
Source community, which is a lot less than Google Summer of Code. So our
proposal will need to be very compelling.

I involved in the OSGeoLive documentation team, and am keen to align
with you QGIS doc folks. But what I'm finding hard to define is what
high value task could a seasoned technical writer bring to QGIS?
Something that is beyond an enthusiastic techie or uni student?

I've been collating these ideas for OSGeoLive here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yriJoybYjsCKhprNLNGGanw8HRA5Z8GhrNrA5RjavUU/edit#

I'd love to help collate similar ideas for QGIS, but I'm a bit stuck.

Cheers, Cameron

On 30/3/19 10:44 am, Alexandre Neto wrote:
> I see Larissa point, maybe we could give a look and pick some
> priorities. For example, big features that are totally undocumented.
>
> A sex, 29/03/2019, 16:17, matteo <matteo.ghetta at gmail.com
> <mailto:matteo.ghetta at gmail.com>> escreveu:
>
>     Hi Larissa,
>
>     > Hello guys,
>     > I started writing documentation for qgis 3.4 in march. For me it
>     would
>     > be easier to contribute if there is a guideline about which
>     tasks I will
>     > have until next year.
>     > Can we define tasks for me?
>     >
>     > I started with the snap-to-grid feature and the print composer.
>     >
>     > From your point of view: what are the priorities (at the moment)?
>
>     I suggested to start having an issue triage of the doc repository. I
>     really think this is the right place where to start
>
>     https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/issues
>
>     by picking up an issue you can add a comment to it saying you are
>     working on that and nobody will take the same issue
>
>     We can still try to figure out the main priorities, but starting by
>     picking up some issue is a good start IMHO
>
>     Cheers and thanks
>
>     Matteo

> --
> Alexandre Neto