[Qgis-community-team] Blockers to start contributing to QGIS documentation (was: User question of the month)

Harrissou delazj at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 12:08:40 PDT 2019

Hi Nick, all

Thanks for your reply. I was afraid my message fell in the abyss of the Internet ;)

Le 29 octobre 2019 13:32:14 GMT+01:00, Nick Bearman <nick at geospatialtrainingsolutions.co.uk> a écrit :
>Hi community,
>
>I've not read the original post closely, but my hunch is that compiling
>the
>documentation on a Windows machine is the blocker. I've never tried
>getting
>Sphinx running on a Windows machine but it looks horrible.

I tried years ago to follow the "make" instructions and neither succeeded to build docs on Windows. Too many upstream documentation to read for a non developer to understand what are these (msys/cygwin/setup_tools, virtual environment, pip... and how all these play, in a non obvious way for a windowser btw). The good news is that the docs readme provides different ways to build (including on Windows) and I ended up using the Paver [0] route which had proven successful.
Moreover, recently, Rosa updated the build instructions on Windows (and it works on Linux too) with simpler steps [1]. Maybe should you give it another try.
But...

> My approach
>is
>to just use Git locally, and send in PRs that way. This means I have no
>way
>of previewing it properly, but I end up keeping my fingers crossed!

... The GitHub preview is trustworthy. And don't cross too much your fingers (not good for them); if there's anything wrong in your contribution, Travis or a reviewer will catch or help you fix it. And in the documentation side we do not expect everyone to have built the docs locally, reason why the steps we are promoting for years are the GitHub online modifications [2].
So no worries if the PR is not perfect for the first shot.

>The material I used at the FOSS4G UK Workshop used this approach.
>Presentation at
>https://www.dropbox.com/transfer/cap_pid_ft%3AAAAAAAPJCGaAT6Guqh3DLrjhqtN_Kiu-6Tj2R-LhUUho-KB34PUGBr4
>and experimental Repo here
>https://github.com/nickbearman/Contributing-to-QGIS-Documentation. I
>need
>to write up a blog post and share this properly (it's on my list) but
>hopefully this is useful. Sorry I didn't get to it sooner.

I didn't give it a look yet but thanks for sharing.

[0] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation#building-the-documentation-using-paver
[1] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation#building-the-documentation-using-windows-minimal-setup
[2] https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/documentation_guidelines/first_contribution.html

Regards,