[Qgis-community-team] [Qgis-user] [Qgis-psc] User question of the month

matteo matteo.ghetta at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 00:14:26 PDT 2019

Hi all,

while reading the data and interpreting the results, what I found is
that basically our official docs are not the firsts choice. People are
mostly used to write something on google (or whatever) and get an
answer. Our (super beautiful docs) are more something to read slowly,
study and make yours.

The doc team did and is still doing an incredible work but we are
relying on too few people.

After discussing in these months with the doc team, psc, osgeo people,
etc.. my conclusions are:

* we have a complex framework with a steep learning curve for all the
newcomers. Even if we wrote the guidelines, Alexandre made videos and
people are helping other ones, we have spot PR of newcomers. BTW: I love
our framework and wouldn't change it

* even if we become more "soft" while reviewing PR (and with the "new"
github system to directly accept reviewer's suggestions) I see new
people scared by this system

* the Postgres like manual is an idea, but we also should admit that
postgres is a CLI software, QGIS has a lot of (beautiful) UIs

Some times ago I tried to find a WYSIWYG system connected to git but
couldn't find any suitable solution. I imagined something: the user logs
it, adds/corrects/whatever something, before publishing the reviewers
can approve it and we still have the history. IMHO such a system can
attract more people CONTINUOUSLY to help us.

Cheers and thanks for the discussion

Matteo