[Qgis-community-team] Remove the version number from the latest released documentation urls

DelazJ delazj at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 20:41:14 PDT 2019

Hi all,

As mentioned in another thread, one major issue with our docs resides in
the failure to find the latest version when using web browsers. As Matthias
suggested in [0] I think it'd be a good move to get rid of version number
in our URL and replace them with 'latest'. IOW web browser will display
https://docs.qgis.org/latest/ instead of https://docs.qgis.org/3.4/
Currently latest is redirected to 3.4, the suggestion is to do the reverse,
ie 3.4 redirects to latest and when 3.10 is released 3.10 will redirect to
latest while 3.4 will display a url with 3.4 This way, our most recent docs
will almost always serve the same URL, hence more chances to be reused over
the releases and more referenced (?).
Browsing some docs out there, it seems they either use latest/stable/(or no
version for the current doc).

Before any request to our sys admins to implement the redirection, I wanted
to take the community's pulse on this move. Maybe there are some
downsides/complications I may overlook... e.g. (how) would the "Fix me"
buttons in the page footer be impacted [1]?

[0]
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/issues/3452#issuecomment-538764762
[1]
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/blob/master/themes/qgis-theme/languageswitch.html#L60