[Qgis-community-team] Releasing QGIS 3.10 doc when 3.10 "becomes" LTR (fev 2020)

DelazJ delazj at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 07:28:06 PDT 2019

Hi folks,

I'd like to hear your opinion about setting a due date for the official
documentation release. In recent years, we used to release when "ready".
And sometimes (*read always*), be ready (aka, fix most of the relevant
issues) takes months, so many months that new releases are already out and
people either have learnt by themselves, blog, list... the new features or
grumbled all the time against us ;)

How about releasing the docs when the target QGIS release becomes LTR, I
mean release 3.10 docs in february when QGIS 3.4 EOL and 3.10 is promoted?
With a clear deadline:
- The users know when a (translatable) documentation will be available
- We could focus on priority issues (that we would need to define)
- We can use the 3.10 LTRing to communicate about the release of its
associated documentation
- 4 months: it's not too late in the life of the release (it could still be
in use for a year)
- Because 3.10 would already be released, not only early testers would know
about the new features, so we can expect (still need to figure out how)
more potential writers
- Because we have a deadline, we can make calls during the last month for
more writers (maybe we can attract more people if they think it's only for
a month than "forever") and/or organize doc sprints
- There might be other advantages...

For issues not documented at the release time, well, we can take the next
two/four(?) months to write and backport what we can. Hence consider that
in june, the 3.10 doc is "sealed". And the single target for docs writers
would then be 3.16 LTR. And a new cycle...

I think that setting a planning for docs and let the community know about
it would not harm. neither does syncing it with the software release cycle.

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Harrissou