[Qgis-community-team] Important: translation of QGIS-Documentation changes

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Mon Mar 16 07:26:33 PDT 2020

Hi,

tl;dr please refrain from translating QGIS Documentation for one or two
days while we move to some infra/build changes.

Status update:

As you maybe noticed the doc team is changing the tool chain we use for
building the QGIS-Documentation websites
Eg:
https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/
and
https://docs.qgis.org/3.10/en/docs/user_manual/

Not only it looks different, but also the way we build it changed, and
the way we pull translations from Transifex is changing...

About building: it should now be easier to build (even on Windows), see
the README.rst Please try master branch :-)

BUT more importantly the way we work with Transifex is different.
The OLD "QGIS Documentation" project on Transifex (used for QGIS 3.4 and
older docs build) will be renamed to something like 'OLD QGIS
Documentation 3.4" or so...
It will keep holding ALL translations but will not be used to build anymore!

The 'new' project (at THIS moment called 'qgisdoc', but hopefully can be
renamed to QGIS-Documentation later) is filled with all the strings of
QGIS 3.10 Documentation.
We are trying to pull all the translations from 3.4 into that 3.10 project.

During this migration: please do not do any translation of
QGIS-Documentation in transifex. (you can translate QGIS-Website or
Desktop off course....)

Some notable changes....

1) we will loose some percentages of the translation: either because of
changes in sentences or files (off course) but also because of issues
with them during the migration. IF you think you lost translations:
please have a look into the 3.4 project and check if you can maybe get
them from there, or ask us for help

2) the number of 'resources' is down from 982 (!) resources / 518K  to
292 resources / 385K... I think it is good that we start with a cleaner
slate again. Apparently there was some old cruft in transifex...

3) I will move translations (sometimes < 0.5% translated) of about 50(!)
languages from transifex into git (locale dir).
And will automate that, so we can pull it into github automagically
every now and then... but pulling from transifex takes hours (for our
big project and 50 languages) so probably I'll start with once a couple
of days...
But on the positive site: it means everybody can easily build his/her
language of choice :-) again see README.rst and try !

4) copying the PO (translations) from 3.4 to 3.10 we also pulled/copied
some not-needed translation files ... Let's keep them in git for now,
but let's remember to clean them up later ....

After all this.
Please have a look and let us know if you see something strange, so we
can hopefully fix it.

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde