[Qgis-community-team] Looking for a reliable free with global data wms service to mention as example in the docs

DelazJ delazj at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 07:16:55 PST 2021

Hi list

I'm walking through the docs and fix (replacing or removing) a bunch of
external broken hyperlinks [0], but there is one I can't find a correct
replacement for and I need your help.

In [1], the docs mentions
http://apps1.gdr.nrcan.gc.ca/cgi-bin/worldmin_en-ca_ows as an example of
working WMS service. Fact is that the link is unavailable years later, and
not redirected. I could find a kind of replacement (using same dataset I
think) in a US website but that relies on an ESRI app... and the service
looks quite unstable too (long to proceed, does not open every time). I've
also browsed the web but I'm tired with testing and lost.

So, can anyone more used to these, please suggest a WMS service that:
- is freely accessible (no fees) and without constraints
- provides a data that may concern the whole world (global) - not
necessarily related to "minerals" as the previous link
- is running on an OSGeo tool
- held by an organisation or public administration

I don't think there will be a lot of traffic on that server. No worries...

Thanks for any help,
Harrissou

[0] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/pull/6429
[1]