[Qgis-community-team] [Qgis-tr] Setting rules to officially publish docs in a target language

DelazJ delazj at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 10:14:45 PST 2022

Hi all,
A late reply

Le mar. 25 janv. 2022 à 12:13, Jörn Gutzeit <j.gutzeit at umwelt-it.de> a
écrit :

> Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on
> https://www.transifex.com/qgis/
>
> Hi,
>
> I am a member of the German QGIS User Group and translation has been an
> issue with us for a long time. We have already set up a special team to
> that, unfortunately with low success so far .. (we also have some technical
> problems with Transifex and wonder how other translators solve them, but
> that is another topic).

Maybe could you open another thread and expand on the Transifex issues?

> But, no excuses: of course the rules should be the same for all languages!
> We also think that something that is only translated about 20% can badly be
> called a "german-language manual" and that this is disappointing for users.
> Therefore, it is of course right no longer to publish the german-language
> manual if it does not fit to the requirements.
>
> OK

> But I would like to add a personal opinion: I don't know what exactly it
> would mean if a language is no longer published. But if that means that
> only Transifex is available for translation, I fear that it will be even
> more difficult for translation. For me, it is a great help if I can access
> the manual as a complete document to get a quick overview of the whole
> chapter or of what still needs to be translated. In Transifex I can only
> see the paragraph I am translating. And I think it might also make it more
> difficult to convince new people to contribute to the translation.

Jörn, I understand your personal opinion and it was one of the motivation
to keep displaying some languages. But experience has proven that while
being able to view the manual as you translate is great, very nice and
helpful, it doesn't necessarily motivate more translators to contribute
(otherwise we wouldn't have this discussion). And *a contrario*, if you
look at the hungarian crew, their translation was at 5% [0] when I opened
this topic, they are a month later around 10% [1] AND they are not
published. Not yet. If they keep that pace...

> Is there maybe a more resource-friendly way to make the docs available
> online? (of course same for all languages)

The easy and fair one that comes to mind is building the 60 docs but we all
agree that it's not resource friendly, and not really useful for many. That
said, recipes to build the docs are on the github repo... if language
communities are interested...

Fact is there's no clear rule currently and for fairness, we need rules.
Maybe setting a threshold and making everyone aware of it can help clarify
things and provide a (lower) target to reach for some communities. Or
maybe, removing the language can stimulate its speakers. I know these are
all wishes... And I don't have an answer...

[0]
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/commit/baf2f2a5fe93c497eb52963d92b56fdcbc921f5b#diff-7788e4e804a06b351338159aff9398a759b7d784303ebfcfcedab13c624b323bR79
[1]
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/commit/3604b7265301c97d0601f962f067dc9bb15d672b#diff-7788e4e804a06b351338159aff9398a759b7d784303ebfcfcedab13c624b323bR79