[Qgis-developer] Key accelerators vs. key shortcuts.

Maciek Sieczka werchowyna at epf.pl
Sun Apr 9 13:32:29 EDT 2006

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 17:51:19 +0100
"Tim Sutton" <tim at linfiniti.com> wrote:

> > Zoom,Pan keys could  be maybe placed somewhere in the bottom centre
> > of keyboard to satisfy both the left and right fraction, still
> > preserving ergonomy.
> >

> Yes this is good logic. How about this proposal (try it in a keyboard
> before rejecting it :-):
>
>                   +---+
>                    | Y |
>              +---+---+---+
>                 | G | H |
>               +---+---+---+
>                | V | B | N |
>               +---+---+---+
>                  SPACE
>               -----------------
>
> y : pan up
> g : pan left
> h : pan right
> b : pan down
> v : zoom out
> n : zoom in
> space : mouse locking pan

So I haven't made myself clear, sorry. I mean only _one_ key for Pan.
It would just center view on the current mouse position. Quick and
neat. Better than locking pan - because the right hand has to press
the key only once for zooming as well as for panning, instead of
pressing once for zooming and press+hold
+move-mouse-with-left-hand-continously for panning currently. I believe
such consistent hand gestures scheme improves user's efficiency on
autamated taks like digitizing (and does no harm for viewing or other
tasks).

> The keyboard layout above while not mnemonic allows quick access to
> all motion operations with one hand, is both left & right handed
> friendly. Note however that collides with some existing keybindings so
> those would need remapping. I know some localised keyboards shift the
> keys about on the keyboard - would it affect these mappings?

If my idea is OK, we would need only three keys. Say
b: zoom in
n: zoom out
m: pan

Cheers,