GPS tracking in QGIS [was: Re: [Qgis-developer] QGIS libs and python bindings]

Lars Luthman larsl at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Apr 14 07:05:17 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-14 at 02:11 +0200, Martin Dobias wrote:
> Regarding GPS input, I'm currently in doubt whether to use gpsd
> software (which doesn't support windows) or to parse NMEA data as they
> come from GPS receiver or to use another way.

With gpsd (or some other abstraction layer) you would be able to do
things like replay recorded tracks or write a simple script that
generates fake signals on the fly for demos and other fun things. If you
read directly from the receiver's serial or USB port you lose that
ability.

--
Lars Luthman
PGP key:     http://www.student.nada.kth.se/~d00-llu/pgp_key.php