[Qgis-developer] Mac Link error

Tom Elwertowski telwertowski at comcast.net
Tue Aug 22 09:57:07 EDT 2006

Tim Sutton wrote:
> Hi (Tom)
>
> Did you ever encounter an error like this when building on mac? Any idea
> how to resolve it?
>
> libtool: link: cannot find the library `'

This is the infamous -F and/or -framework option in .la file error.

Since libtool gives up without a useful explanation when it finds
something unexpected in a .la file, perhaps it should be known as the
"something unspeakable found in .la file" error. :)

I usually get this when I upgrade Qt and forget to edit or comment out
the line beginning with "dependency_libs=" in libQtTest.la. Since the
options propagate, you also have to delete libqgis_gui.la,
libqgis_core.la and libqgis_raster.la after fixing libQtTest.la.

Tom