[Qgis-developer] 0.8 release status

Radim Blazek radim.blazek at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 04:48:58 EDT 2006

On 8/30/06, Gary Sherman <sherman at mrcc.com> wrote:
> Hi developers - how far are we from a release?
>
> I see the bug queue has shrunk, although we still have a couple of
> major issues.
>
> Translations need to be updated and the user manual needs to be
> reviewed and finalized. I also haven't got the context help completed
> for the dialog that are "wired" with a Help button.
>
> I'd like to find a Python/MapServer expert to complete the MapServer
> export script to include in the release (any volunteers?).
>
> There are still some cosmetic issues on the Mac.
>
> What's the consensus? Can we release prior to FOSS4G which starts Sep
> 12?

No, I don't think so. We have still 19 tickets opened. FOSS4G
should not force us to release a buggy version. We can release
preview 2. It is much better to here on the conference that
QGIS 0.8 stable was not yet released but 0.8 preview 2
works very well then that QGIS 0.8 is again buggy like 0.7 was
and it is better to wait at least for 0.8.5.
RC1 is probably better name then preview. Preview is something very
preliminary. I am sure many people will try the new version
of QGIS on the conference and would be bad advertisement
to see there crashing stable version.

Radim