[Qgis-developer] Problem with GDAL formats as plugins

woklist at kyngchaos.com woklist at kyngchaos.com
Fri Jul 7 11:49:30 EDT 2006

(This is a clarification on Greg's message in the qgis-user list)

I have a few formats in my GDAL built as GDAL plugins, for various
reasons.  This includes GRASS (raster and vector), JasPer JP2, MrSID, and
a new Kakadu JP2 plugin.  With all these enabled, when adding a raster,
there are many JPEG2000 choices, and all except the first have the same
menu text so I can't tell which is which.

JPEG-2000 part 1 (*.jp2 *.JP2)
JPEG 2000 (*.jp2 *.j2k *.JP2 *.J2K)
JPEG 2000 (*.jp2 *.j2k *.JP2 *.J2K)
MrSID [not the actual text, I just shortened it here]
JPEG 2000 (*.jp2 *.j2k *.JP2 *.J2K)
JPEG 2000 (*.jp2 *.j2k *.JP2 *.J2K)

Disable MrSid and that drops to:

JPEG-2000 part 1 (*.jp2 *.JP2)
JPEG 2000 (*.jp2 *.j2k *.JP2 *.J2K)
JPEG 2000 (*.jp2 *.j2k *.JP2 *.J2K)

Disable Kakadu (just JasPer now), and the same 3 choices are available.
Disable JasPer and enable just Kakadu, now there are no JP2 choices to
load rasters.  Enable just the MrSID plugin, and the MrSID and 2 JPEG 2000
items are available.

Why is Qgis ignoring the Kakadu GDAL driver?  I can't try this with Kakadu
built into GDAL, only as plugin.  The GDAL programs see and can use the
Kakadu driver plugin just fine.  Since only a few of the available GDAL
formats are available in Qgis, it must be something programmed into Qgis?

Why are all JP2 drivers shown (and with multiple menu items for each)?
The only way I know of to choose an *input* format driver in GDAL is to
set the GDAL_SKIP environment var to tell GDAL to ignore drivers.  But
maybe there is a way when using the libraries?

This is with my Qgis Mac Universal build of 0.8 preview.  Happens both on
PPC and Intel Macs.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

[Trillian]  What are you supposed to do WITH a maniacally depressed robot?

[Marvin]  You think you have problems?  What are you supposed to do if you
ARE a maniacally depressed robot?  No, don't try and answer, I'm 50,000
times more intelligent than you and even I don't know the answer...

- HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy