[Qgis-developer] Recent changes to legend

Stephan Holl holl at gdf-hannover.de
Fri Jul 14 06:32:10 EDT 2006

Hello Gavin,

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 21:09:38 +1200 (NZST) "Gavin Macaulay"
<g.macaulay at niwa.co.nz> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> SVN commit https://svn.qgis.org/trac/changeset/5594 made some changes
> to the legend - two columns have been added to contain icons for
> whether the layer is in the overview, and whether the layer is
> editable. In my view, these extra columns make the legend unwieldy,
> especially since the columns don't have anything in them for most of
> the time (one needs to select 'Show File Groups', and then click on
> the + symbol to see the icons).
>
> Version 0.7 of qgis did this much better, and I'd prefer to not have
> the extra columns and icons in 0.8 until they can be better
> integrated into the legend.
>
> Comments?

Checked out and compiled. Nice. Let me post some comments from a
user-view.

I often have layers with long legend-names for classificated data. So
with this new columns I need to horizontally scroll often, which is not
very elegant.

What do you think about changing the icon of the layer to something
which indicates that it is editable (Pen?) or in overview (glasses?).
There is the problem then, what should happen if the layer is editable
and in the overview (pen with grasses?)

Perhaps there is an easy option how to integrate the icons in the
legend?

Since I am no programmer I cannot give much input here.

Cheers
	Stephan

--
GDF Hannover - Solutions for spatial data analysis and remote sensing
Hannover Office      -     Mengendamm 16d      -     D-30177 Hannover
Internet: www.gdf-hannover.de      -      Email: holl at gdf-hannover.de
Phone : ++49-(0)511.39088507       -        Fax: ++49-(0)511.39088508