[Qgis-developer] Recent changes to legend

Tom Elwertowski telwertowski at comcast.net
Fri Jul 14 12:37:01 EDT 2006

I agree that the added columns make the legend unwieldy. Adding the
icons is useful but the layout should be cleaner.

The "Label" caption and primary row of each layer should be full table
width. The "Ov" and "Ed" labels aren't very meaningful when the icons
aren't visible. Is Ed someone who pops up to help confused users? :) The
layer names shouldn't be truncated for things which appear only in lower
rows.

Rather than using separate top-level columns, I would just append icons
at the end of lower rows as needed. To explain the icons, I'd use the
yellow roll-over tooltips.

If the icons are used, they should also appear on the second row of the
layer. When there is only one file, the icons are the same as the file
row. For multiple files, there needs to be tri-state versions of the
icons like the dashed and checked version of checkboxes. For example, a
pencil icon drawn with dashed rather then solid lines would indicate
that a layer had multiple files, only some of which are editable.

For 0.8, we should either do some additional work now to improve the
layout or else postpone this until later.

Tom