[Qgis-developer] about grass plugin (windows)

Radim Blazek radim.blazek at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 06:09:18 EST 2006

On 11/27/06, godofredo contreras <frdcn at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I have been working in a debugging environment for qgis based on : msys and
> eclipse cdt with some success. I was analizing grass plugin source and the
> notes that Benjamin posted in http://blog.qgis.org/?q=node/35. I saw in some
> notes in plugin code that there were some problems opening a cmd or command
> shell. I am very new to grass and I would know if grass shell is simply an
> operating system shell with grass executables in path, if this is the case
> we could solve the problem calling a grass.bat in qgis folder that sets all
> environment variables and open a cmd window, if not, could somebody tell me
> what is needed from a grass shell ?

GRASS shell is using MSYS terminal, i.e. qgis/msys/msys.bat
but some variables must be set previously by the plugin (GISBASE,
GISRC).

> Also I got a weird problem, I copy shared folder from a previous
> installation of qgis and every time a try to execute a grass command, the
> plugin looks for executables in the old path. Are there any configuration to
> set the grass executables path?

The plugin is looking for modules in GISBASE directory. Normaly
you dont need to specify the directory especially on windows where
it attempts to use qgis/grass directory. If a directory with GRASS
is not found in the expected path you are asked to select a directory.
In that case the path is stored in QGIS settings and it is used
in future if the directory is valid. If that directory was removed
you should be asked to select another one.
The only way to change GISBASE if previously dir still exists
is to edit QGIS settings manualy.

Radim