[Qgis-developer] GRASS related issues

Byambaa Mendbayar mendbayar_b at mongol.net
Thu Oct 12 01:34:36 EDT 2006

Dear Dane Springmeyer,

Thank you for your great help.

> If you are just getting started using/learning GIS, that is a good
> place to start. QGIS has basic capabilities like digitizing and
> managing vector layers. GRASS is more sophisticated and difficult to
> learn. But, the best way to use it is as a plug-in.

Actually I am software engineer and we are developing some plug-ins in QGIS
for our local needs. My team includes "content provider" team. They are
masters and experts in GIS and Remote Sensing field. They are now using some
expert systems like an ENVI, ArcGIS, ArcMap and etc... You know that all
above systems are proprietary, they are license cost is so expensive for
developing country like a Mongolia. Therefore we are looking alternative
variant for affordable expert GIS software like a GRASS. But we can not
compare and benchmark between our two variants (ENVI vs. GRASS etc...).

Just we are using QGIS for ordinary users, not for professional one, and we
are interesting GRASS for our professional users.

Please, advice to me and compare ENVI vs. GRASS.

Best regards,
	Byambaa Mendbayar

 A good place to start is to simply install Qgis for windows:

http://qgis.org/uploadfiles/qgis-0.8.0_Preview-2.zip

 If you are just getting started using/learning GIS, that is a good
 place to start. QGIS has basic capabilities like digitizing and
 managing vector layers. GRASS is more sophisticated and difficult to
 learn. But, the best way to use it is as a plug-in.

 You might also try the mapwindow GIS software. It is very good and
 easier to learn. It also has many plugins. It requires two installs,
 the microsoft windows install and the .NET framework:

http://www.mapwindow.org/download.php?show_details=1

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-
8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en

Good luck!