[Qgis-developer] STL vs. Qt containers

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 05:54:25 EDT 2006

On 10/27/06, Marco Hugentobler <marco.hugentobler at karto.baug.ethz.ch> wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> I'm more in favour of the STL classes because they are available wherever a
> C++ compiler is. There are parts of QGIS which could be used without qt, e.g.
> the vector data providers and other non-gui classes. I think it would be a
> pitty to create a dependency on qt for those classes.

Hi Marco,

first I have also thought that it would be nice that some core
routines would not depend on Qt. Later I've found out that this is not
possible.

Core parts use like data providers use Qt signals/slots mechanism that
makes impossible to port them easily to a non-Qt code. But second,
more important - why to do that? QGIS is based on Qt. Once we have
such dependency why not to use it extensively? My opinion is that
converting some code to be Qt-independent wouldn't bring any benefits
- Qt also works as compatibility layer between the platforms. Why to
loose it?

Martin