[Qgis-developer] ms_export.py : some modifications and questions

Matthew Perry perrygeo at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 14:54:13 EDT 2006

Hello QGIS folks,

  [ I sent this to the old qgis-dev list as well so apologies if you
receive a duplicate... ]

  This weekend, I began looking at the ms_export.py script for
converting .qgs projects to mapserver map files. I would love to see
an almost 1:1 conversion of qgis constructs into a mapfile so I started
to make a few modifications/hacks to the script:

- support for postgis, raster and wms layers
- some additional mapfile metadata for automatically creating wms servers
- very basic support for labelling
- support for graduated symbol classification
- a few other minor tweaks.

I've attached the ms_export.py script along with some screenshots
showing the qgis project then the mapserver rendered version without
any manual tweaking to the mapfile. There's still alot of room for
improvement ... if folks find this line of work helpful, i'm more than
willing to continue working on this.

Please give it a shot and let me know how it works for you.

On to the questions....  I'm a bit confused as to how the ms_export.py
script is meant to interact with qgis.   It appears as if svn build as
of last week still uses the c++ version of the mapfile exporter and
there are calls to the python script as well as the c++ methods in
qgsmapserverexport.cpp. Is this still in transition or is ms_export.py
only meant to be a standalone tool?

Thanks,
--
Matt Perry