[Qgis-developer] QGIS License (was Qt 4.X)

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Wed Sep 6 08:54:18 EDT 2006

Hi

This is just my guess (since I wasnt there at the beginning) but....
QGIS has morphed a lot since the beginning. The first version was a
simple postgis browser with no plugins, no ideas to sepate into
libraries that could be used to build other apps etc. In the scenario
where your application is self contained the GPL probably makes more
sense. When plugins and library reuse starts to come into play LGPL
probably makes more sense.

One thing I dont understand though: Isnt the Linux kernel releases
under GPL? If so how do NVidia etc get away with making proprietry
kernel modules?

Regards

Tim