[Qgis-developer] QGIS License (was Qt 4.X)

Radim Blazek radim.blazek at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 07:30:05 EDT 2006

On 9/7/06, Luca Casagrande <luca.casagrande at gmail.com> wrote:
> > But, I don't believe it is possible! You cannot
> > use a library developped with Qt free edition in a proprietary application
> > built with Qt commercial edition!
>
> While searching on the net about this issue, i found a guys that explain me
> this issue with Qt. This is the answer:
>
> "you'll need to grant an exception in your license to allow proprietary
> plugins and the developers of the proprietary plugins will need to purchase a
> license from Trolltech to link against the Qt libraries; you should also
> specify that closed source plugins developed for your application will
> require a license from trolltech"

This is exactly what is not allowed, I think. They simply forget
to look at the Qt licence for commercial edition.

Trolltech: "Please note that it is necessary to choose either the Open
Source or Commercial license at the outset of development. Trolltech's
commercial license
terms do not allow you to start developing proprietary software using the
Open Source edition."

Regardless it was Trolltech's intention or not, if somebody takes QGIS library
which was developed with Qt OS edition and builds a proprietary application
using commercial edition it is violation of the commercial lincense.

Again, it has nothing to do with the license of QGIS, important is that
QGIS was developed using OS edition.

Radim