[Qgis-developer] CMake for building QGIS?

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Thu Sep 7 10:33:35 EDT 2006

Martin Dobias wrote:
> Hi devs,
>
> these days I'm back in QGIS development and I'd like to get
> Lib_Refactoring-branch back to sync with SVN head so after releasing
> 0.8 it could be merged immediately as it has many improvements in
> architecture and now it's hard to maintain it separately.

Hi Martin,

I submitted a few minor fixes to thie branch some weeks ago.

> Some time ago I've read about CMake build system and that KDE
> developers have switched from autotools to it for KDE4. I've tried it
> a bit and it looks very promising. This is a good reading for those
> who don't know anything about it:
> [1] http://lwn.net/Articles/188693/
> [2] http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6700
>
> On page [1] you can find pros and cons of this system and advantages
> that developers of Scribus project see in it. It should suit our needs
> well as it has good support for different platforms and also it's
> really easy to use in comparison with autotools. I've already managed
> to compile with it QGIS core library on linux.
>
> What are your opinions about such switch for the next version of QGIS?
> I could try to prepare the build system in the refactoring branch to
> see if it works well.

I started to like cmake, it's easier to write makefiles
and Visual C++/KDevelop workspaces generation sounds promising.
However, I still does not have any idea how to achieve something
like dynamic configuration similar to ./configure scripts.
IMHO, cmake is still under development and I'm not sure if it's
very mature.

I'd also like to hear more cmake pros and cons.

BTW, recently one of GEOS user posted cmake for GEOS.
I tunned it a bit and, as I said, I started to like cmake ;-)
http://geos.refractions.net/pipermail/geos-devel/2006-September/thread.html

Also, we (SOCI library dev team) are going to add cmake building
support to SOCI library, so after that I hope I'll be able to tell
more about cmake in practice (near the middle of October).

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net