[Qgis-developer] QGIS Preview Release 2

Tom Elwertowski telwertowski at comcast.net
Sun Sep 17 00:21:42 EDT 2006

William Kyngesburye wrote:
> I have one concern that just occurred to me - the PROJ you include in
> your QGIS binary may have a problem as a universal binary.  The NAD
> files are processed at build time from the text NAD data to binary, in
> the endian of the build architecture.  Then when read on the other
> architecture, you will get bad NAD data.  I patched my PROJ framework to
> always assume little endian NAD data files, so it does byte-swapping on
> a PPC Mac.
>
> If you like, I can give you the details (I need to put that patch info
> on my site one of these days).  I only have a patch for the reading
> part, not the build side, since I build on Intel (normally).

Let me know the details. I built everything on a PPC Mac and don't know
whether projections are working on an Intel processor.

> - What about the Qt plugins?  How does the whole mess know where to find
> them?  I noticed you put imageformats folder (and just that) directly
> alongside bin/lib/share, while I dropped the whole Qt plugins folder in
> the QGIS app, to mirror how it is in the Qt installation.  Are any of
> the other Qt plugins needed (accessible, designer, sqldrivers)?

The default search looks first in plugins/ within the install dir, then
directly in the executable path and finally in $QT_PLUGIN_PATH.
(http://doc.trolltech.com/4.1/qcoreapplication.html#libraryPaths)

A crash was occurring if the bundle contained Qt and then loaded plugins
from a different version in the install dir. Since only one Qt plugin
was needed, I replaced the full list with just the second item in
main.cpp:374. A better solution would be to replace plugins/ in the
install dir with plugins/ in the executable path rather than drop it.

However, I just noticed (http://doc.trolltech.com/4.1/qt-conf.html) that
the built-in paths can be altered by creating Contents/Resources/qt.conf

To redirect all Qt directories, the contents should be

[Paths]
Prefix = MacOS

but this doesn't work. Instead, each directory needs to be specified:

[Paths]
Plugins = MacOS/plugins

An empty qt.conf also works if Qt is in Contents.

Should I fix the plugin path in main.cpp or remove it and use qt.conf
instead?

> - I missed the mapserver export tool.  Looks like it needs Python
> support, and I didn't do that either.  That was something new and I
> wasn't ready to mess around trying it.  I'll take a look at it later
> (probably after I get my MacBook back, and I may just rebuild the whole
> thing on my MacBook as a test).

To build it, just add --with-python to the configure command. The
Makefile will use the Mac OS X python framework.

Tom