[Qgis-developer] qgis organigram, code maintainers

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at karto.baug.ethz.ch
Wed Aug 15 10:20:20 EDT 2007

Dear qgis devs,

In the psc, we recently talked about having more formalised processes and
clearer responsibilities in the qgis team.

From the development side, I'd like to have code maintainers for different
parts of the code, e.g. for the different plugins and providers and parts of
the qgis libs. A code maintainer would review patches for the corresponding
part, coordinate the efforts of interested developers, answer questions and
make sure the code is in a clean and up-to-date state. I hope that such an
organisation will help us to better coordinate our efforts and make it
clearer for new developers where to ask for guidance. It would also be
visible which modules currently lack a maintainer (e.g. in my opinion GRASS
module).

The code maintainers would add one or more lines to their e-mail signature
such to make it clear for everyone, e.g.

Tim Sutton
Maintainer QGIS raster module

I could imagine the following parts of code:

- raster: Tim
- python bindings: Martin
- core lib: Martin
- gui lib: Martin
- app (dialogs): Tim
- mapserver export: Gary
- delimited text: Gary
- print composer: Steven
- wfs, wms: Marco
- renderers: Marco

and other parts that need maintainers:
- GRASS plugin/provider
- postgres provider
- ogr provider
- gps plugin/provider
- georeferencer plugin
- project file

What are your opinions about this this in general? Do you like it too or is it
just unnecessary complication?

For the areas of code, I'm sure I missed a lot of things. And probably there
are even volounteers for the second part of the list...

Regards,
Marco

--
Dr. Marco Hugentobler