[Qgis-developer] comments on qgsvectorlayer.cpp

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at karto.baug.ethz.ch
Fri Aug 31 02:57:57 EDT 2007

On Friday 31 August 2007 02:36:25 Martin Dobias wrote:

> I've been thinking about this - mostly about where to put the caching
> mechanism. There are generally two options:
> - cache objects ready for painting (as you suggest) - e.g. save
> ready-made QPolygonF instances
> - cache objects fetched from data provider - e.g. save QgsFeature instances
>
> I like the second option more due the fact you're mentioning - when
> scaling or scrolling we would need to recalculate the coordinates
> somehow. More clean way seems to me to cache the features with their
> map (not screen) coordinates.

I also like the idea of a feature cache. Btw, it seems that the Java folks
already do this, and there will be a presentation at the FOSS4G conference:

http://www.foss4g2007.org/presentations/view.php?abstract_id=151

Hopefully they will upload the slides later for those who cannot join (like
me).

Additionally to a cache on feature level, it would also be good to have
smarter zooming and panning as this enhances the user perceived performance.
Similar to OpenLayers, a background thread could already render image pieces
adjacent to the current view so that panning is a very fast operation. For
zooming, I like the way of udig, where the image is scaled first and the
rendered tiles appear successively.

Regards,
Marco