[Qgis-developer] comments on qgsvectorlayer.cpp

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at karto.baug.ethz.ch
Fri Aug 31 05:36:31 EDT 2007

On Friday 31 August 2007 10:07:15 you wrote:

> I wanted to implement rendering in a background thread some time ago
> to allow some features we really miss, like:
> - interruption of rendering
> - GUI interaction during rendering
> - prerendering of areas near the border (as OpenLayers or GMaps do)
> This needs a deep analysis of how it would work, where to put
> synchronisation etc.

Yes, it would be much work and is quite difficult.

> and it will need also some architecture changes -
> e.g. data providers do not provide thread-safe access, so concurrent
> reads from providers would end up with incorrect results.

Wouldn't it be possible to have only one rendering thread so that thread safe
providers are not needed (at least as a first step)?
But yes, on multiprocessor machines, it would be really cool to have different
threads rendering different tiles. Do you have an idea how providers could be
made thread safe?

Marco

--
Dr. Marco Hugentobler