[Qgis-developer] windows packages: who is wanting them?

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Fri Jun 1 15:01:02 EDT 2007

Hi all.
Windows is unfortunately still widespread, and many qgis users prefer
that OS. Maintaining Windows packages is proving difficult, time
consuming and boring, especially because a number of ancillary packages
have to be included in a single installer. This is subtracting dev time,
thus slowing development pace.
The right solution is obviously to have each package maintained
independently, but in a coordinated way, through a msys-geo repository.
The packages are at least: grass, gdal, proj, geos, expat, postgres, xerces.
I believe we could launch a specific sponsorship program for this, as
many are interested in having such stuff (also in professional settings).
Of course we should provide a reasonable roadmap (N of human resources
needed, infrastructure, etc.), not just asking for money and then seeing
what to do with that.
Sounds reasonable?
pc
--