[Qgis-developer] OSX build notes

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Jun 4 19:38:22 EDT 2007

OK, so I had some time today and broke down and tried the cmake thing
on OSX.  Here are a few notes about Tim's wiki instructions after a
quick run thru (I tried 0.8.0 first, but moved on to 0.9 trunk).

- Python - for a universal build, add the -n flag to the SIP
configure.  PyQt picks this up and automatically builds universal.

- I wasn't too keen on the cmake binaries installing in /usr (that
should be left alone, for system stuff), so I built from source using
the default /usr/local.  Pretty simple:

./bootstrap
make
sudo make install

- the Subversion requirement could be removed, to simplify for those
who just want to build Qgis.  Use the web SVN interface to Qgis
source and download tarballs from there.

- it would be nice to list variables for configurable dependencies.
I have some static libs in non-standard locations.  Or maybe the
ccmake interactive configure can take care of this?

- The autodetect for GRASS needs work.  The way I set up the OSX app
build in the GRASS source (so it's official now) the major.minor
version is now in the name (so people can more easily have stable and
CVS versions side-by-side).  ie GRASS-6.2.app.

So, it should try a versioned GRASS.app first, but how to pick which
one I don't know (it can't really tell which is stable and which is
not).  Maybe one of those cmake variables that the user can set?

Otherwise a manual GRASS_PREFIX setting is needed.

- I see some universal flags in the resulting cmakecache.txt, though
just my architecture is set.  I tried editing cmakecache.txt to set
both architectures, but it's not adding those flags to compile and
link.  How do I turn on a universal build?  Or do I need to manually
add the flags for now?

- and then I get stuck at:

cc1plus: warnings being treated as errors
/Users/Shared/src/qgis/qgis-svn-070604/src/core/qgsgeometry.cpp:2511:
warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions

PS. thanks for the tip about the FIXMEs in the GEOS 3 headers.  I'll
comment those out for an update to the framework release.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Oh, look, I seem to have fallen down a deep, dark hole.  Now what
does that remind me of?  Ah, yes - life."

- Marvin