[Qgis-developer] Re: OSX build notes

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Tue Jun 5 16:03:39 EDT 2007

Hi

2007/6/5, Martin Dobias <wonder.sk at gmail.com>:

> > Ok this is fixed in SVN. By default the pedantic flag is on and all
> > warnings are treated as errors. You can turn the pedantic flag off in
> > ccmake (though I recommend you keep it on and let us know if you get a
> > similar warning).
>
> I think we should turn off pedantic flag by default as some warnings
> also depend on platform and compiler version. This results in the
> situation that SVN too often fails to compile. Also when doing some
> development it's a bit annoying when warnings need to be removed
> immediately (some of those are e.g. variable is not used). My idea is
> that pedantic flag should allow doing maintenance.
>
> Another issue is the warning about unresolved warnings in WFS plugin -
> in my opinion we should remove it, users are often confused asking
> what they've done wrong when getting the warning.
>
> Martin

Once school of thought says all warnings should be treated as a bug,
and that we should not allow code into SVN that has warnings. So
instead of doing svn checkout and turning pedantic on, you should do
checkout and turn pedantic *off* if you are disinclined to use them.
If you are doing dev work and you have unused vars etc then just turn
off pedantic while developing, then turn them on again for a final
build before committing,

If warnings arise on different compilers etc we should treat these as
bugs too.  I thought at one stage pedantic was turned off in SVN -
maybe one of us (me turned it on and committed again without
realising. Ideally the warnings in WFS plugin can be resolved and we
can remove that warning. In summary, I prefer to keep pedantic on...

...what do others think?

Regards

Tim

Tim Sutton