[Qgis-developer] Writing a data provider in Python

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Mar 15 10:43:01 EDT 2007

I'm working with the 0.9 version and I've been writing python plugins
happily. One thing I wanted to do was to be able to read excel
spreadsheets into QGis.

I looked at the delimited text C++ plugin and so I understand the
fundamentals of a vector data provider, but I can't see how to add a new
one to the registry. It seems that the registry populates itself at
startup time, and there's no 'add provider' method of QgsProviderRegistry.

So am I right in thinking that data providers have to be in C++ at the
moment?

The workaround is to insist that my users export their excel
spreadsheets as CSV files and then I use the very lovely delimited text
plugin...

Barry