[Qgis-developer] API changes

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at karto.baug.ethz.ch
Fri Mar 30 11:38:41 EDT 2007

Hi Martin,

The interface looks good.

It would be nice if getNextFeature could be const, but that would probably
require some members of providers declared as 'mutable'.

> I thought about the best argument order for select() that would best
> fit into common usage but I'm not sure if this is it.

This argument order seems to be best for drawing features, and I think this is
reasonable.

> Also it might be good to think about enabling concurrency as currently
> it's not possible to do more data retreivals at once with one
> provider. Iterator design pattern could solve this situation, the
> question is whether also provider backends support concurrency (e.g.
> OGR).

This would be a very clean solution. However, it is probably a bit too much
for now. What are the use cases you have in mind for concurrency? Something
like multiple canvases sharing one data provider (and possibly
multithreaded)?

> Probably I will have some time tomorrow, maybe on Sunday too...

Ok, great.

Marco