[Qgis-developer] GDAL Python Bindings

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Nov 7 15:07:58 EST 2007

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> One thing I would acknowledge is that you can't currently implement a
> raster format for GDAL in Python.  I'm not sure how useful it would be
> to be able to do so,

I think it would be very useful.

To go along with Frank's impassioned plea:

Being able to drive and customize QGIS with Python is the final straw
for me -- it is clearly becoming THE way to go for custom desktop GIS apps.

Being a python fanatic, I'd like to be able to do everything in python,
including things like writing a new raster driver. With numpy and a
clean connection between gdal and numpy, it could even be done efficiently.

Yes, there are issues/limitations with GDAL's python wrappers, but they
are solid an useful and the GDAL team is very open to improving them --
let's pool our efforts, not split them.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov