[Qgis-developer] Advanced editing branch

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at karto.baug.ethz.ch
Thu Nov 8 03:05:39 EST 2007

Hi John,

> Are there more features from this branch that are not so
> obvious...?

There is also the possibility to snap to background layers and to set
tolerances for each layer to snap (to vertex, segment or both). Also, it is
possible to do topological editing, e.g. if a vertex is moved in a polygon
mosaic, the vertex of the adjacent polygon should also be moved.
Also, it is possible to activate 'remove polygon intersection' button. The
result is that if you digitize a polygon that overlaps others, the overlaping
areas are removed from the polygon.

You find this setting in settings -> project properties -> digitizing.

> A while back, I had put in a feature request for multiple vertex
> deletion. This is something that exists in OpenJump, but I much prefer
> Qgis and am hopeful that this will happen at some point. Marco had
> commented about the possibility of implementing this, but it was in
> the idea phase. This would be an immensely useful tool and could be
> extended to allow moves of a subset of vertices with the move tool in
> addition to multiple deletion if a vertex selection tool were
> developed. See this thread for a recap:
> http://www.nabble.com/Vertex-edits-and-selection-t4178483.html

I also think this is a useful feature. It is not implemented in the branch
because it is usually a big step from idea phase to implementation phase :-).

Please fill a ticket to the tracker with type 'enhancement' so that it does
not get forgotten.

Regards,
Marco

--