[Qgis-developer] linker command line too long for cmd.exe

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de
Mon Nov 19 08:43:35 EST 2007

Dear all,

I am trying to compile QGIS SVN head using MinGW and have run into a
serious wall:

When I 'make' the binaries, after the 52% compile step, I get:

Linking CXX executable qgis.exe

.. and after a few seconds an error message about the command line being
too long (uck!)!

Now, I am pretty sure that the problem originates in cmd.exe, as the
error message is German ("Die eingegebene Zeile ist zu lang.") and I am
on a German system.

I have tried replacing cmd.exe with a version from XP, which is supposed
to allow for longer commands, but to no avail.

I have put the QGIS sources into a very short path in order to shorten
the linker line but that also did not help. I suppose I could try
re-installing Qt into a shorter path. What do you think?

Has anyone had the same problems before?

Is there a replacement for cmd.exe that does not have this limitation?

Might there be a possibility to optimize the Makefile generated by CMake
so that it produces shorter linker command lines?

Where do I have to look to see the actual linker line being used? Does
CMake have something like a verbose switch, so I am not stuck with the
percentage display and can see what's actually going on?

I am grateful for any help on this one.

Best,

Benjamin

--