[Qgis-developer] installing QGIS and PyQGIS (on windows)

Matthew Perry perrygeo at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 03:14:32 EDT 2007

On 10/14/07, Gary Sherman <sherman at mrcc.com> wrote:
> On Oct 13, 2007, at 9:51 AM, Martin Dobias wrote:
> >> There is also work under way on the PyQGIS repository for plugins and
> >> an automatic installer
> >> (discover, download, and install). This is all being done if Python.
> >
> > Can you tell me a bit more about it?
>
> A test version of the repository is here:
> http://spatialserver.net:3001/
>
> A script that generates xml from the contents of the plugin database
> is here:
> http://spatialserver.net/cgi-bin/pyqgis_plugin.rb
>
> Matthew Perry has written a command line Python script to list the
> plugins
> in the repository and also install them by name into a qgis install.
> At present
> the script requires hard-coding of the location of the qgis install.
> The installer plugin
> will get the location of the app and use it to install.

The alpha plugin installer script can be found at
http://perrygeo.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/gis-bin/qgis_plugins.py

It does one of two things:
simply parse the xml and list the available plugins
or
grab the zipfile for a specified plugin and install into the plugin directory.

usage would go something like:
 qgis_plugins.py list
 qgis_plugins.py install PluginName

Currently the plugin dir is hardcoded. This could be avoided by
running it as a plugin itself except that it must be run as root when
installing to a system-wide version. Allowing each user to have their
own plugin dir would solve this but I don't know how much that impacts
the existing plugin architecture.

--
Matthew T. Perry
http://www.perrygeo.net