[Qgis-developer] installing QGIS and PyQGIS (on windows)

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 06:35:12 EDT 2007

On 10/15/07, Gary Sherman <sherman at mrcc.com> wrote:
> On Oct 13, 2007, at 9:51 AM, Martin Dobias wrote:
>

> >> There is also work under way on the PyQGIS repository for plugins and
> >> an automatic installer
> >> (discover, download, and install). This is all being done if Python.
> >
> > Can you tell me a bit more about it?
>
> A test version of the repository is here:
> http://spatialserver.net:3001/
>
> A script that generates xml from the contents of the plugin database
> is here:
> http://spatialserver.net/cgi-bin/pyqgis_plugin.rb

Nice! Do you plan to add there some more features?

What I'm missing there is compatibility information that would state
which interval of QGIS versions is supported (e.g. Firefox extensions
work the same way).
And it would be really nice if it would show download count and user rating :-)

> The only issue is with permissions. Users won't be able to install
> plugins if there
> is a system-wide qgis install in say /usr or /usr/local. One thing we
> might want to
> consider is having a user plugin directory that allows users to
> install plugins outside
> the qgis install. This would require a slight change to the plugin
> manager to make it
> search the main plugin dir as well as the user directory.

I know.... My preference is to use Firefox-style of plugin
installation - that by default it will install automatically the
plugins in e.g. ~/.qgis/plugins directory. It's simple, it doesn't
need any more permissions and it's acceptable for users.

But besides that I'd like to have support for more custom paths to
plugins specified by users.

Martin