[Qgis-developer] Link issues on mac

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed Apr 2 16:12:34 EDT 2008

On Apr 2, 2008, at 2:17 PM, Tom Elwertowski wrote:

> Thanks to William for all the 64 bit libraries! I can build 32/64
> bit for OS X 10.5 only or 32 bit for OS X 10.4 but haven't looked at
> how to build 32(10.4)/64(10.5) libraries.
>
> Tom

Looking forward to a 64bit Mac Qgis!

Anyways, for library build notes, I'm *slowly* updating my notes on my
site, which include 64bit/Leopard builds.

Right now I prefer keeping Tiger Universal 32bit and Leopard Universal
32+64bit separate.  I started doing 32bit Tiger/Leopard + 64bit
Leopard, but that was much more work (a lot of lipo-ing), and I later
found other reasons:

- The 32bit side must stay Tiger-compatible.  You lose out on the
Leopard side then for many updated libraries.  Similarly, there is a
feature/compatibility disparity between 32bits and 64bits for Leopard.

- They would be difficult to use in other software that may expect the
32bit and 64bit parts to be built from the same SDK - ie compiling all
4 archs together at once instead of lipoing together.

- Tiger is partially 64bit capable - libsystem and libz, for basic CLI
programs.  So it could mistakenly try to run an application in 64bit
mode if it's available on Tiger.  You would have to strip the 64bit
when installed on Tiger.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

First Pogril: Why is life like sticking your head in a bucket filled
with hyena offal?
Second Pogril: I don't know.  Why IS life like sticking your head in a
bucket filled with hyena offal?
First Pogril: I don't know either.  Wretched, isn't it?

-HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy