R: [Qgis-developer] python as plugin

Marco Pasetti marco.pasetti at alice.it
Tue Apr 15 16:26:21 EDT 2008

Hi Jürgen,

You touched a *hot* point, in my opinion.

>I think that's an issue for packaging.  With python support as plugin, we
could split the python plugin into a separate shared library.
>If python isn't there, the load of the plugin simply fails (similar to the
GRASS plugin).

Actually, it would be, and in fact it is, a good idea, that let things
(packaging, morevover) very simple and tidy... but this is (I mean: good),
IMHO, specially for unix-like unsers; I try to explain: I'm both windows and
linux (just a bit) user, so I'm used to the habits of windows users, and I
can understand some other habits of linux ones. If on linux is usual and
very simple to download and install the required *optional* packages to
enable some special *features* (such as qgis plugins) into specific
applications, on the other side, this is not definetely the same for windows
users. It's a consolidated *windows* habit to install and use *complete*
software packages only, without the need to install further *pieces* of
softwares to let the formers work as their well. For this reason, I guess
that, for windows, it would be a *strategic* decision to release a
self-contained, *full-featured* version of the installer; even if a lot less
tidy and efficient, it would guarantee us the best diffusion among windows
users.

>Maybe we should do the same for GRASS.  Instead of packaging GRASS with
QGIS on windows, we'd dynamically depend on the WinGRASS package.

The same lines I wrote above could reply the dynamic GRASS plugin proposal.
I confirm, it's a good idea, why not? (please, remember that I'm also a
GRASS dev-team member, so to not support your proposal could be in contrast
with my GRASS position...). But there's still many reasons, for windows
packaging, to say no. IMHO, again, who uses GRASS toolbox in QGIS, instead
of using GRASS itself, does it because the QGIS GRASS toolbox is more easy
and intuitive (even if less powerful) than the full GRASS. For the same
reasons that I explained above, I believe that users (specially from windows
world) who prefer QGIS GRASS toolbox (instead of GRASS itself), and/or
rarely use GRASS but still have the need to use it sometimes, would be very
unhappy to must install GRASS as separate package instead of having it
pre-packaged in QGIS.

Thank you for reading my opinions ;-)

Marco