[Qgis-developer] qgis python qtdesigner

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Tue Apr 22 15:28:42 EDT 2008

Hi Adase,
Looking at your signature, you are developing on windows?

Marco is making a beautiful installer for windows which will have python
build in with the upcoming version 0.10.
After installing that one you can do a search for python en plugin in
either blog or wiki at qgis.org:
http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki
http://blog.qgis.org/?q=taxonomy/term/2
Here you will find some simple examples:
eg. http://blog.qgis.org/?q=node/104

You can also install some python plugins, and look in the source code of
them.

To answer your question a little further: it really depends on the kind
of plugin you are willing to build. The Rasterinfoplugin for example
does not have a real 'gui' component (so: you will not need to install
qt for this). You can use the 'framework'/codebase of that plugin to get
your feed wet.
But if you want to build something with a dialog, or more sophisticated
plugins (like html-image-plugin) you have to install qt and qt python
tools. These tools give you the ability to 'design' dialogs etc.
'Compile' images etc for resources etc.
I wrote something about my first plugin here:
http://www.duif.net/qgis/

Good luck and have fun,

Richard Duivenvoorde

ps and if you build a nice one, add it to the plugin repository :-)